Sunday, September 11, 2011

Book Review: The Hippie Guide to Climbing the Corporate Ladder and Other Mountains



I just read this book recently (bought it over a year ago though!) and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Though it's not really about fitness per se, it contains some wonderful stories about professional mountain climbers that are awe-inspiring.

It's written by the co-founder of JanSport, and basically is a chronicle of how the company began, and how the founders were able to grow the business while remaining true to their hippie natures, their passion for the great outdoors, and their ambition to make a product that they could really be proud of.

He peppers the book with experiences of being on the teams that climbed Everest and Kangchenjunga (the world's 3rd highest mountain), and of supporting other climbers planning expeditions on K2. I have never been mountain climbing, and I probably will never take up this particular sport. But I have to admit that while reading this book, I entertained the thought. I have great respect for technical mountain climbers, and the passion they have for their sport. This book didn't change that a bit.

The book also makes me want to own a JanSport again. Desperately.

No comments:

Post a Comment