Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Dancing into the New Year

In 2010, my sister and I greeted the New Year with a 2-mile walk.

We ended 2010, with seven miles between us (she did 4, I did 3).

And somewhere in between, I got certified as a dance fitness instructor, I tried Kettlebells, I continued to practice yoga (even though I don't get to a studio as often as I'd like anymore), and basically kept on keeping on. 


I'm not obsessed with fitness. Not at all. It's not an obsession. It's just the way I like to live.

I guess my love for fitness began in the 1980s, yes, that time of leotards and leg warmers, and Jane Fonda and her legions of dancers leading everyone on the quest to "Feel the BURN!!!" 


 She put me to shame then for being able to do more hydrants and donkey kicks than I could, and she puts me to shame today, because in her seventies, she's still at it, still blazing the fitness trail.  

 

 Or maybe it started when I enrolled in ballet class. Because after all, what epitomizes strength, fitness, and of course, grace, more than that exquisite athlete: the ballerina.

 

Whatever it was, it set me on a path that has led me to where I am now. And it's taken me on many exciting adventures.

I first learned the "beauty and benefits" of yoga from Pio Baquiran. I've sun-saluted under the watchful eyes of David Swenson and Paul Dallaghan, and the teachers of Yoga Manila. I learned precision and alignment under the tutelage of Jawahar Bangera and the wonderful teachers at Iyengar Yoga Center Manila. I awakened my kundalini with Maya Fiennes.

I started running. At first, slowly and painfully. Then, less painfully, and more quickly. And then, upon finding brother--and sister--runners to share the road with, I actually learned to love it.


I've taken dance classes--and even performed in a legitimate ballroom dance recital. Salsa, anyone?

I discovered the wonders of exercising at home, and found a seemingly endless world of workout options on DVD. (Don't worry, we'll get into those soon enough.) Not only did I find home workouts, I found a wonderful community of home-exercisers, who generously shared DVDs, opinions, and recommendations, and gave their support via message board when DOMS struck, or when a TURD got the best of your intentions to work out. (Keep checking this blog to find out what those acronyms mean.)

And yes, I got certified as a fitness instructor. I feel very privileged to be able to teach, and I love sharing the dance floor with my students.


So, since now is the time of New Year's Resolutions, why not make one today? To lose weight? If you need to, and want to lose weight, then sure, that's a great resolution.  To discover your inner athlete? Why not? You just might surprise yourself.  To be strong? Yes, definitely.

In the process, maybe you'll discover an activity you love, and that you want to do, because it feels good and is good for you. 

So...what are you waiting for?




No comments:

Post a Comment