Thursday, January 13, 2011

To Rotate or Not to Rotate--That is the Question!

Many exercise plans and even workout DVDs focus on the idea of a rotation: using specific exercises or workouts in a planned schedule for a fixed period of time. There are some short rotations, usually around 3 or 4 weeks (21-28 days), medium-length ones (around 6 weeks, or 42 days), or long-haul rotations that last up to 3 months (90 days).

Some people need the structure that a rotation offers. And I have to admit, it takes a lot of pressure off to have everything decided for you beforehand. So for some people, it works.

Personally, I don't have the discipline it takes to stick to a rotation. And, I mean, what if I wake up one morning and don't want don't want don't want to do the scheduled workout? So, I am rotationally-challenged that way.

The one time I was able to stick to a rotation though, I have to say I got great results. I did a short one, 4 weeks of Leslie Sansone walking workouts based on her book, Walk Away the Pounds. And walk them away I did, losing seven pounds by the end of the 4 weeks. 

Hmm. That was pretty amazing. Hmmm. I might just have to do that again sometime.

The fitness retailer, Beachbody, presents many workout DVDs with these formats. Slim in 6 promised great results in 6 weeks, and who knows, it might have delivered...if I had stuck to the plan. I think I managed up to week 3 or 4...and then I gave up. Tony Horton's Power 90 is a three-month in-home bootcamp for those who have --and he has intermediate and more advanced workouts too, P90 and P90X, for those who want to take their fitness to the next...and then the next...level.



Kelly Coffey-Meyer offers six week rotations, cycling around her different video offerings. With her series of 30-minute videos, this is a great option for the time challenged. Plus, Lauren, one of Kelly's instructors, is a fantastic modifier who gives great options to keep things low-impact or less strenuous, while still getting a serious (and I mean, serious) workout.




Looking back on my patterns then, I guess, I could probably get better results by sticking to a rotation. Doing a rotation would likely give me the kick-in-the-pants I need to work harder and challenge myself more. I will probably do a more flexible type of rotation, with particular kinds of workouts: walking, dancing, weights, and yoga.


Some people experiment with yoga-only, barre-and-dance, classic strength-and-cardio. But in the end, I think the best and most effective workout schedule is the one that you will stick to, rotation or no rotation.




No comments:

Post a Comment