Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Walking...At Home? Yes!

In 2004, I made a friend.


We've never met. But by now, I would estimate we've logged hundreds of miles together.
We're so close that I find I can complete her sentences. I sometimes get mad at her, because she makes me workout, but in the end, I am always grateful for her constant badgering me to "Walk, walk, walk...WALK!"

Her name is Leslie Sansone, and she's the creator of a series of fitness DVDs that, unlike other workout programs does not have complicated or fancy choreography. In fact, it's all based on something we do every day (we just don't do enough of it!): walking. She has four basic steps: walking (which is basically marching in place), side steps, knee lifts, and kicks. She also throws in hamstring curls (or a kickbacks) and grapevines once in a while, to keep things interesting.

 
Now, before you say, "Walking?? That's too easy!", hear me out.


I prided myself on being relatively fit when I first discovered Leslie. But, when I first tried her "4-Mile Super Challenge DVD" (which is an advanced walk, so don't jump into this one if you're new to working out), I had to admit that not only did I get a great workout, I enjoyed myself, I felt good, and I didn't feel drained or exhausted. 

 


Which, for me, is the beauty of the Walk at Home DVDs. My sister and I discovered that in the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, sometimes, you just need to turn your brain off, and get your workout in. You don't want to think about choreography, you don't want to think about perfect technique - I mean, you already know how to walk, right? - you just want a simple workout, that is effective, fat-burning, muscle-building, and health-boosting, right? Walking can do that .


Walking is a great exercise. And if you have a place to walk outside, by all means, do that! But, if you're afraid that stray dogs will attack you, if you live in a neighborhood that isn't pedestrian-friendly, these DVDs will be your lifesaver. Leslie is a chatty, folksy instructor, who encourages you sometimes to "Whoo!" or "Throw up your hands to heaven and say hallelujah!", and her constant banter might get to be too much for some. Me? I actually like it. I find her chatter comforting, and often, very inspiring.


Of course, I love all my other workouts, and there are days when I feel like doing something else. There are days I do want complicated dance steps, and heavy weights. And then there are the days when I say...all I want to do is walk one mile and be done with it. (Usually though, once I get started, I will probably end up doing a second mile. Why not, right?)


And on those days, I'm glad I have a friend like Leslie.


Note: You need supportive shoes to do these workouts. Some people find that marching in place is hard on their knees...feel free to walk around when Leslie is walking in place. Be light on your feet and don't stomp, otherwise, you will definitely hurt yourself. As with all home videos, YOU are the boss. If something doesn't feel right, or causes you pain, do something else!

No comments:

Post a Comment