Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Searching for Senior Fitness

As a fitness instructor, I see a lot of different types of people who come to class.

I see the young and fit and the young and on-the-way-to-fit. I see people who are working out to reach specific weight-loss goals. I see the ones who don't really have fitness goals, but who love the energy and the music in a live class (for those of you who have never attended a live class before because you are intimidated or shy, send me a message. We will have fun, I promise.)

Last night, I had the privilege of having an older lady in my dance-fitness class. She was a wonderful student: smiling, laughing (I told you, my classes are fun!), modifying moves to make them safe and comfortable for her, and in general just dancing and sweating and getting a good workout.

I don't see many older people in my classes. And that's a shame. Perhaps I should have an all-seniors class. (Stay tuned for announcements.)
Fitness is something that people of all ages should enjoy. And there's proof positive that getting older doesn't have to mean getting fatter or run-down.

I mentioned Jane Fonda in my first blog. Truly, she is an amazing woman. We should all be producing fitness videos when we are in our seventies. 

Or, how about Margaret Richard of Body Electric fame, who is in her sixties, and still going strong?


The growing (and I do mean, growing) problem of obesity among children is worrying, and I'm sure I'll talk about that more in another post, but I also worry about the seniors, who also need exercise to maintain cardiovascular health, to manage blood sugar (how many people in your extended family are diabetic?), to build and maintain muscle mass and bone density, to boost endorphins (who couldn't use more endorphins?), to remain mobile, and be healthy enough to enjoy their prime-time years. 

But what are the fitness options for seniors?

Walking, is of course a great workout, for all ages. Swimming, if you know how to do it, is also wonderful. I know a lot of seniors who enjoy ballroom dancing, and if you like it, go for it! 

I am currently searching for workout options for seniors, and have found a number of home workout offerings that may be suitable. Once I've tried them, you'll find out which ones I recommend. I have introduced both my parents to Leslie Sansone, and they can now do three or four miles, no sweat! (Well, not really. They do sweat, of course.) Now, I'm on the lookout for workouts that will help my parents build and maintain muscle mass, which is so important when one is aging.

If you love the seniors in your life, or as my cousins call them, the "OBGs" (Oldies But Goodies), help them to stay active. Don't force them to do anything they don't want to do, but encourage them to get started. Give them the tools they need, whether it's a DVD, a pair of walking shoes, or a membership to a club. Let them know that growing older can really mean getting better.

2 comments:

  1. A good Leslie alternative for older adults may be the George Foreman/Petra Kolber walking series *Walk with George* which are still available through amazon. My mom loved George!
    There also are lots of options for strength, flexibility and cardio while sitting if very out of shape or injured, like The Sit & Be Fit series, chair dancing, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Barb! Yes, my parents have the George/Petra DVDs too!

    ReplyDelete