Sunday, January 9, 2011

Mini DVD Reviews: So-so titles, Challenging workouts


Trying a new workout DVD can be exciting. It can be satisfying. Finding the right workout can, as my sister says, make you feel “victorious”.

Today, I tried parts of two new workout DVDs.

For my cardio, I did the “Metabolic” workout in the Women’s Health “Look Better Naked” DVD.
(I pause here so that you can react to the title.)

It’s not my favorite title. But I chose to ignore it, and the workout—the cardio one anyway—is pretty good.

It’s a HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) style workout. I say “style”, because I’m sure those who do “puke in a bucket” HIIT will scoff at this DVD. For those of us who are less hardcore, this is a nice, challenging, sweaty 30 minutes. For those who don’t like high impact, there’s a pretty good modifier who gives some low impact options (some of which I did myself; I don’t like plyo lunges, sue me.)

Jessica Smith leads the workout. I’ve got several DVDs of hers, and I like her style. She leans more towards athletic cardio, not dance-y at all. So there’s a lot of jogging, lunging, squat jumps, hops, leaps, and, brace yourself: squat thrusts and mountain climbers. Variations and combinations of these are done in short bursts. She then brings you into active rest, which is usually a low-intensity preview of the next interval. You need space around you, enough to lunge forward and backward, as well as room side-to-side for lateral steps and curtsy lunges. (I didn’t have the space I needed, and that caused some frustration. I have a feeling I’ll get a better workout when I try it in a larger place). You’ll also need space to walk out into a plank (those with wrist problems might have issues with the squat thrusts and mountain climbers).

I previewed the strength section, which looks like it could actually also have a cardio effect. Again, it’s a lot of lunge patterns, usually with an upper body movement, like a chop or a twist.

I also previewed, tried, and yes, chickened out of) Perfect Legs, Glutes & Abs. (another title that’s…meh…)

This is done by Michele Olson, Ph.D., the instructor on the 10-Minute Solution kettlebell-inspired workout (a workout I like a lot actually, even though, again, hard-core kettlebell devotees will probably turn their noses up at it.)

She has two workouts in this DVD. One uses regular strength training exercises, like lunges and squats, with chops and twists, to challenge core strength and balance. The second workout focuses on working the stabilizing muscles in the legs and glutes through exercises that go through different speeds and range of motion.

I tried the plie section of the 2nd workout, and the abs section of the 1st workout.
(whimper.)

Sometimes a new workout makes you cry.

But, sometimes it also makes you look forward to trying it again. And I’ve got to say that both these workouts fall into that category.

Are these workouts DOMS-causing? Will keep you posted.

2 comments: